Akom's Tech Ruminations

Various tech outbursts - code and solutions to practical problems
Low Tech Hacks

Replacing Dishwasher Circulation Pump Bearings without buying a whole new unit

Posted by Admin • Friday, April 26. 2019 • Category: Low Tech Hacks

I have a DW80j3020us/AA Samsung dishwasher. It has been producing a loud noise for some time, and the noise kept getting worse. It was a matter of time before it either seized or melted the motor. The reason I know that the problem is with the circulation pump is that the noise is only audible while it's washing (circulating), not while draining or filling. Clearly the problem could be the motor (bearings) or some part of the impeller/grinder (less likely).

Samsung Dishwasher

My options were:

  1. New dishwasher
  2. New Circulation Pump motor DD31-00008A ($150)
  3. Try to change the bearings (I've found nothing online about anyone doing this)

You can find lots of videos online on how to properly replace the circulation pump motor/assembly. I followed the guides for removing the internal components down to the food chopper, since the chopper is on the motor shaft. This takes about 20 minutes. After that, it was easy - all I had to do was pull the bottom cover off and remove 4 screws to get the motor out. Then a magical thing happened.

Bottom cover removed
The motor

Four more screws and the motor casing is off. The motor is brushless, so no brush springs flying out and no painstaking tricks to get them back in. The rotor simply slides out, with the two bearings on the shaft. There was little doubt about the issue - the bottom bearing was noisy.

Rotor with bearings

This is where I got lucky. The bearings are clearly marked (608Z in my case, which are 8*22*7 mm). I just happened to have a 10 pack of 608RS (same bearing but with rubber seals) that I bought for the frame pivots on my mountain bike (a vintage Trek Fuel). Pulled it off with vice grips, put it back together, and I have a quiet dishwasher again!

Removing the bearing


My dishwasher also had a small leak from one of the corners, and, on closer inspection, the moisture (leak) detector was removed. After some thinking I pieced together what happened in its lifetime:

  1. Dishwasher was (probably) dropped onto the lower back corner, deforming the body and causing a small leak
  2. The slow leak caused the sensor to throw alarm codes but since it was a slow leak, it was not obvious
  3. Some enterprising repairman removed the leak sensor and called it a day
  4. The water continued to drip and pool under the bearing, causing it to rust
  5. you know the rest
  6. In the end, a little bit of Quicksteel on the leaking corner took care of everything.

0 Trackbacks

  1. No Trackbacks


Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)
  1. Thank you so much for this. My dishwasher, same model, suffered the same fate just a few months off warranty.

    It cost me less than $3 for a new bearing and about an hour of my time overall from start to finish. In my case, the shaft seal appears to have begun a minor leak, dripping directly into the bearing... Destroyed.

    I went from having to turn up the tv because it had become so loud to having to now mute the TV to even hear the dishwasher.


  2. Had the same exact issue. Bought a 2 year old Samsung dishwasher on Market place and with installed was very noisy. Replacing my pool pump bearings in the past, the noise was familiar. Took the circulation motor off and saw the bearing was bad and rusted. Ordered new bearing to replace and it should fix the problem. I am scratching my head a bit because the bearing was rusted. I don't see any leaking, but could have been condensation build up of some sort. Thanks for sharing this write up!

  3. I had this very same issue. I lazily bought a "new" unit off Amazon and I'm positive the one I got was a return and suffered the same issue of persistent high pitched noise.

    Found this thread and decided to give it a shot.

    Unlike OP, I wasn't able to use a pair of vise grips and had to use some gear pullers. Got a 4" set of gear pullers and ground down the jaws to fit within the metal posts where the bearings were sitting. On both units, the bearings were pretty stuck even with a dose of pb blaster.

    Hope this helps someone else. Gear pullers made the job easier for me.

  4. Thanks for writing that up. I recall expecting that I'd need to use a gear puller and being pleasantly surprised when the bearing came off easily. Mine didn't have a shaft leak, so it didn't seize onto it.

Add Comment

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
You can use [geshi lang=lang_name [,ln={y|n}]][/geshi] tags to embed source code snippets.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.

Markdown format allowed

Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.